How can I get ALSA and JACK working

Douglas Alves alves5 at cantv.net
Sat Jun 11 02:28:31 UTC 2005

OK, I had already installed qjackctl. But when I run
jackd -d alsa
from the command line, it starts saying that

root:/home/douglas # jackd -d alsa
jackd 0.99.0
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|
32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 32bit samples trying 24bit instead
Couldn't open hw:0 for 24bit samples trying 16bit instead

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.059 msecs

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.062 msecs

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.058 msecs

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.038 msecs

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.036 msecs

 . . . and so infinitely, as far as I can see . . .

[2]+  Stopped                 jackd -d alsa
root:/home/douglas #
root:/home/douglas #

What do you think, David?
(and thanks for lending a hand here)