Suggestions for Ubuntu Article

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 09:46:36 UTC 2005

> So I guess at the very least an explanation note should come up either
> after installation and/or when running music or video players for the
> first time.  (A "HEY PSSST!! want MP3? DVD?"-pop-up :)
>
> Same for this whole universe/multiverse thing.. Users really don't
> care: things are 'free' when stuff doesn't pop up a page to enter
> credit card details. That's plenty free enough for most of us, and
> these things just shouldn't be hidden like this.

What's hidden? What do you mean? Do you want both universe and
multiverse to be included in main? Do you want them to be on by
default? Do you want multiverse to be in universe?

In my mind it's so clear

Main is a subset of application that canonical feels that they can support.
Universe is the rest of free linux applications. Support is on a comunity basic
Multiverse is simply things that you CANNOT distribute however you want.

> And while I'm ranting anyway: Really nobody ever wrote a free driver
> for Winmodems/Softmodems?? If I'm a laptop user and considering
> running Ubuntu then I'd really really want my modem to work. Would you
> believe every day when using Ubuntu I have it connected to an XP
> laptop with Connection Sharing for a dialup connection enabled.. It
> sucks lugging around two laptops just to use Ubuntu! :) (Ok I could
> just go buy the driver, but the driver is MORE expensive than a
> typical Winmodem costs. "That just ain't right!") Nobody ever ripped
> that driver from Linuxant & Co?

Ehh.. ever checked out linmodem.org?
http://linmodems.org/

I don't know how stable it is, since I haven't used a modem in many years.

/Erik