Suggestions for Ubuntu Article

Matthias Heiler heiler at gmx.de
Fri Jun 10 08:14:56 UTC 2005

Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> writes:

> This is a dead horse (given the amount of flogging this topic has received).
>
> But, unless someone's willing to pony up some money MP3 is NOT an
> option for free software which does NOT have an immediate means of
> making money (free both as in beer (which is borrowed only for as long
> as it takes your kidney to break it down ;-) and as in speech). Yes,
> you can download "free" MP3 players that are legal BUT, the "free" MP3
> playing capacity is paid for either by advertisements or by having
> enough users register to make "giving" away the licences to MP3
> cost-effective.

In the ubuntu documentation there are various references how to
install mp3 players, DVD support, win codecs, etc.  It's just
unpleasant (and inefficient!) to wade through it and spend time doing
things by hand that should work automagically.

I wonder if it would be possible to provide a script
"install_restricted" that does the necessary stuff.

E.g. it would ask the user which application he wants and then make
the necessary changes to apt/sources and call aptitude install or wget
or something.  This would happen after installation and with an
appropriate warning message printed.

Matthias