fresh install no sound

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Fri Jun 10 06:20:41 UTC 2005

Hello squareyes,

Friday, June 10, 2005, 12:31:47 PM, you wrote:

s> have muted all unnecessary in Alsa mixer,
s> can play music CD's no problems, have event beeps,
s> but no sound from either totem-xine, or xine-ui.
s> Could this be a video player problem?

I had a similar problem with XMMS locking up (no sound, lock-up) and
also Kino not doing sound. ("cannot open /dev/dsp!")

Turns out Hoary's sound setup is a bit... special.

From Xine though, I think if you select the right sound system in the
preferences (eSound) it should work? That fixed the problem for me on
XMMS crashing. By default it was on OSS.

For Kino though...: " sudo killall esd !!! "

(without the exclamation marks, I added those just to make it gorier. :P )

Cheers,
Chanchao