Ubuntu Live CD Persistent Home on usb key.

James Cummings cummings.james at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 21:55:13 UTC 2005

Hi there,

I'm trying to set up a persistent home directory on a usb key while
using a Hoary Live CD.  The instructions at:

do not seem to work.

I have no problem formating the usb key, or creating a an img there.
I have called it home.img  and the key (/dev/sda1) is mounted as
/media/usbdisk when I have booted off the live CD.

The instructions say you should type:
home=/dev/sda1/ubuntu.img

(or in my case home=/dev/sda1/home.img)

at the ubuntu Live CD boot prompt.  This is of course not going to
work because you need to provide the image name you are loading so
"live home=/dev/sda1/home.img" is one of the many permutations I've
tried.

I've also tried "live home=/media/usbdisk/home.img"

None of these work.  I can mount the image ( with -o loop) once
booted, and indeed copied the ubuntu home directory onto it.... but I
can't seem to make it use the home directory from the boot prompt at
all.

So, I can't envision that something so central is impossible, so can
someone pretty please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
James-C

--
James Cummings, Cummings dot James at GMail dot com