Backports

Gary Jarrel garyjarrel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 23:44:15 UTC 2005

I've recently enabled backports to install & evaluate NVU (recent
thread) in doing so, the system appears to have a numebr of new
updates that can be installed which were not otherwise available.

My understading is that backports are entirely un-supported. So if I
install for example gcc-4.0-base from the backports repository which
would in effect remove gcc-3.5-base due to the conflict (keeping in
mind that gcc-3.5-base is supported), does that mean that any further
update made to main or restricted repositories for the gcc-x.x-base
package will not appear in the "upgrade" list (say if I wanted to
revert back to the supported package).

I've also noticed on the backports page, the add for package testers,
how would one get involved?

Thanks for the help!

- Gary