Go to MY PC...

Wed Jun 8 20:40:38 UTC 2005

Jack Jackson wrote:
> Tom Adelstein wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 09:17 -0400, Jack Jackson wrote:
>>

>>>I'm looking for a linux package which will allow me to remove expensive
>>>and proprietary GotoMyPC from my dad's machine. I'd like to be able to
>>>put a client on his machine which will let me ssh into his windows
>>>machine and see his dekstop from mine.
>>>I have looked at VNC and frankly gotten highly confused at how it is
>>>supposed to work. Can anyone either explain it or offer another client
>>>which is invisible to the Windows user once installed but allows me to
>>>get in securely and administrate the windows XP box ?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>

>>Is it Windows XP Home edition or Pro?
>>
>>That makes a difference.
>>

> Glad to know it! It's Home edition, SP2.. Thanks in advance

In which case, IIRC, there's no remote desktop facility in the Home
Edition, so TightVNC might be your best bet. I'm not sure how secure it
is. It's ages since I used it.

For security, you'd need to tunnel through using SSH to the Windows box,
which, without installing Cygwin (or the cut-down SSH server version),
can be challenging. I do this all the time from work to my Windows
things at home, but I have a debian box acting as a gateway to the rest
of my home network (and its installed SSH server!), so this isn't a problem.

HTH

--
John Kirkland