Remote desktop solution

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at kaarsemaker.net
Wed Jun 8 05:26:50 UTC 2005

On wo, 2005-06-08 at 08:16 +1000, James Gray wrote:

> > * Some others are willing to install a windows X server, so the ssh
> >   solution works here too (By the way: what is a nice, preferably free
> >   X-server for windows?)
>
> Cygwin.  I've used this before and  it's really quite easy to install and use.
> Just write a shell script to do all the command line fru-fru that Windows
> users seem hard-pressed to remember ;)

That's a no-go, if you want scools to use a system, they must not have
to install/configure a big piece of software. They simply don't want to
or cannot do this.

> > * And now the hard part: schools that do not want to install an X
> >   server. A proposed solution here is VNC, but that will be very
> >   clumsy since a user needs to be logged in locally to start the VNC
> >   server.
>
> Have a search through the archives at www.slug.org.au.  Jeff Waugh posted an
> article a while ago that outlines how to spawn multiple user sessions of VNC
> from inetd.  Jeff is also an Ubuntu and Gnome guru/developer/ghod and will be
> happy to help if you run into problems.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

> >   Are there any other options available here?
>
> Whether you use Cygwin/VNC/FreeNX - the bottom line is the Windows sites will
> have to install or configure *something*.  Pick the solution that makes your
> life as stress-less as possible.

Well, that's not gonna work: the schools have to voluntarily use it,
it's an experimental virtual school setup that needs to be used. If it
is not simple to use, they will not use it and the project will fail.
FreeNX so far seems the simplest solution, since it has very easy-to-use
windows- and linux clients.
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org