gcc and C++....

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Tue Jun 7 23:15:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 17:19 -0500, Charles Malespin wrote:
> Hi all, I am trying to teach myself C++ and I am using gcc(well I think
> I am....) on Hoary that I got from synaptic.  What extra files or
> packages do I need to include from synaptic for a noob starting up?  I
> am using a tutorial to help me learn C++, but when I try to compile the
> program it gives me this error.
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1plus': No such file or
> directory
>
> So I guess I am missing something right?  I really dont know anything
> about C++/C so this is all very new/confusing to me.  I tried to use
> Anjuita, but I had NO idea how to write or get things working in that,
> so I am trying gcc I guess.  Any help is greatly appreciated (sorry if
> this isnt exactly an ubuntu question)
> Thanks, Charles

Hi Charles...

First: You need to install “build-essential” from Synaptic.
Second: Depending on your installed GCC¹ version, you might need to
invoke “g++”² instead of “gcc”³.  But since you're using Ubuntu, the
default (will be?) installed “gcc” will invoke the right compiler in
your behalf.

(You might have to install some or all of the following (in order of
most likely what you need):
        libstdc++5-3.3-dev
        libstdc++6-4.0-dev
        libstdc++2.10-dev
However, since you said you're just starting to learn C++ I doubt you'll
need any of the libstd++* packages yet.)

Notes:
     1. Since version 3.0.0 it stands for “GNU Compiler Collection”,
        before that it used to stands for “GNU C Compiler”.
     2. The C++ compiler
     3. The C Compiler

Ziyad.