Remote desktop solution

Julien Motch julienmotch at skynet.be
Tue Jun 7 19:24:55 UTC 2005

In fact, FreeNX is based on the NX protocol (an X11/RDP/VNC proxy server
especially well suited to low bandwidth links such as wireless, WANS,
and worse) from the nomachine group : http://www.nomachine.com/ . The
software is a proprietary software but there is a free licence you can
use 30 days and which can be replaced as many times as you want.

They also publish a free library (GPL) which FreeNX is based on.

I have never used FreeNX but I used the nxserver on linux and the
nxclient on windows with a wireless link at 11Mb/s and it's perfectly
worked with no slowdown at all in spite of a very low signal power-my
real wifi bandwidth is more or less 5Mb/s.

And yes, nxclient featured an ssh client (windows version) which you can
use as if you were running a linux desktop.

Julien