Remote desktop solution

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 7 13:19:35 UTC 2005

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 07.06.2005, 14:08 +0200 schrieb Dennis Kaarsemaker:
> After pushing Ubuntu I convinced my boss to let me install it on a
> server that is to be used for a virtual school project. However, one of
> the needs of this project is an easy to use remote graphical connection
> with the system. Depending on the systems at school, there are several
> definitions of easy:
>
> * Some schools use linux systems, ssh -X combined with jailed accounts
>   solves the problem here
> * Some others are willing to install a windows X server, so the ssh
>   solution works here too (By the way: what is a nice, preferably free
>   X-server for windows?)
> * And now the hard part: schools that do not want to install an X
>   server. A proposed solution here is VNC, but that will be very
>   clumsy since a user needs to be logged in locally to start the VNC
>   server.
>
>   Are there any other options available here?
yeps, we are working on a solution for schools and other similar
facilities already, mostly based on a thin client architecture to make
it possible to recycle old hardware etc, but also usable as a standalone
solution. it wont be ready before breezy though.

http://www.edubuntu.org/FrontPage

i'd be happy to get some input and ideas about it from potential users.

;)

ciao
	oli