ubuntu a desktop OS?

James Wilkinson ubuntu at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 7 12:36:21 UTC 2005

Duncan Anderson wrote:
> Personally I wouldn't bother. I would use it on the desktop and use
> something like Debian or SuSE or Mandrake or Fedora for the server.

Having used both Fedora and Ubuntu, I'd say that Ubuntu is *slightly*
better as a server OS. It has eighteen months of updates: a Fedora
release has ten plus the "Fedora Legacy" project (which is better than
nothing but has a reputation for patching not very much rather late).

If you want a Red Hat based server OS, get CentOS (which is based on Red
Hat Enterprise Linux), or RHEL itself.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | I learnt the rules of rugby. There is only one rule.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | "Skip it by any means necessary".