Remote desktop solution

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at kaarsemaker.net
Tue Jun 7 12:08:24 UTC 2005

After pushing Ubuntu I convinced my boss to let me install it on a
server that is to be used for a virtual school project. However, one of
the needs of this project is an easy to use remote graphical connection
with the system. Depending on the systems at school, there are several
definitions of easy:

* Some schools use linux systems, ssh -X combined with jailed accounts
  solves the problem here
* Some others are willing to install a windows X server, so the ssh
  solution works here too (By the way: what is a nice, preferably free
  X-server for windows?)
* And now the hard part: schools that do not want to install an X
  server. A proposed solution here is VNC, but that will be very
  clumsy since a user needs to be logged in locally to start the VNC
  server.

  Are there any other options available here?

--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org