kernel: FAT: utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT filesystems, filesystem will be case sensitive!

Richard Downer rdowner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 08:04:49 UTC 2005

Finn, everyone,

On 6/6/05, fsj <fsjfsj at vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:
> So my mount line is:
> /dev/hda1  /mnt/win_c  vfat defaults,user,umask=0      0       0
>
> I could have used
> /dev/hda1  /mnt/win_c  vfat
> defaults,user,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850      0       0

OK, so I know what I want the mount options to be - the next question
is how do I set them! It's not me that mounts the drives - when I plug
in the USB HD "magic" happens behind the scenes and something mounts
the two partitions with the iocharset=utf8 option. They don't appear
in /etc/fstab at all. As a workaround I can manually re-mount the
partitions without the iocharset= option, but I'm looking for a proper
solution.

All the hotplug and automounting stuff I do really like, it's
definitely an improvement in my opinion, but as a Linux user of nearly
ten years I'm pained to admit that I don't know how most of the
hotplug magic works! ;-)

--
rd.