DVD burn speeds borked?

Brian Pack darkaudit at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 01:37:19 UTC 2005

On Monday 06 June 2005 03:07 am, ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 12:57 -0400, Brian Pack wrote:
> > This is getting to the point of sending me back to the dark side! :p
> >
> > I use K3B to burn my DVDs, and I cannot get a good burn out of 8x media @
> > 8x speeds with a 16x capable burner. I've tried different brands of
> > media, different burners, different distros, and even different
> > computers. The 8x discs I try to burn @ 8x come out as coasters. Their
> > viewable to a point but the burn is physically bad, with blank strips,
> > scorches, and other errors.
> >
> > What I'm not getting is that @ 4x or 6x speeds the burn is fine. AND 16x
> > media will also burn fine, although K3B is picky about media at that
> > speed. It will reject 3 or 4 discs that will burn fine at 6x or lower.
> >
> > OTOH, Nero can't yet handle 16x media, but will burn these 8x discs at 8x
> > without error nearly every time.
> >
> > What can I do here?
>
> Upgrade you DVD device's firmware to the latest version.  Use
> “growisofs” without the “-speed” option and try it.
>
> On my DVD writer (Sony DRU-710A) I couldn't write anything to cheap
> “no-name” DVD banks until I upgraded the firmware.  Also, that helped a
> lot with the quality and speed of the writing.
>
> “growisofs” is smart enough to pick the highest possible speed of
> writing depending on your drive and the media.
>
> (As a small note, blank DVD media have a preset of supported speed.  You
> could check by issuing the command “dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/dvd”.  I had a
> DVD+R disk that accept only 1x and 4x but not 2x.  Your millage may
> vary.)

I think I may have hit on something. I did sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd once I
logged into an XFCE session, *AND* (the important one) I replaced the stock
40-wire IDE cable with an 80-wire one. I'm not getting a blank band on the
first couple of burns. A couple more and this may be the fix.

My BIOS had been complaining that I wasn't using an 80-wire cable for the
burner. It's not complaining anymore. :)

--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/darkaudit/