Centrino wireless woes

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Mon Jun 6 16:41:45 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 05:30:39PM +0100, GyroTech wrote:
> >7) What happens if you do
> >sudo iwconfig eth1 essid any
> No output...

Oops; I meant to say, "set the essid to 'any', then run
'iwconfig' (no arguments)" to list the status.

> >sudo ifdown eth1
> ifdown: interface eth1 not configured
> >sudo ifup eth1
> ifup: interface eth1 not configured
> So, I'm guessing that KWiFiManager is not doing things in a nice way and
> I'm going to have to configure everything by hand??

It's not hard to configure by hand. All you have to do is
add something like

iface eth1 inet dhcp
	wireless-mode managed
	wireless-essid any

to /etc/network/interfaces . Then do an ifdown and an ifup.

There are ways to do all of this by hand -- i.e., without
needing to put stuff in the config file -- but this is one
way to go. The alternative is to do 'dhclient eth0'.

Try that and see how you do.

Steve

P.S.: The advantage of using command-line tools is that
they're much better at telling you what's wrong than
graphical tools are. This isn't *necessary*, but it's how it
works in practice.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org