Performance Enhancements

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 5 22:53:12 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-05 at 23:16 +0200, Rainer Gutkas wrote:
> Dear Tom!
>
> It's a pitty you stop do the articles, I learned a lot out of them and
> managed to get my system a bit faster. So actually I'm not working in
> Goverment, but am a computer scientis, working as Developer in a little
> software firm and use Ubuntu mainly at home, to complete my Diploma
> thesis, etc... .
> I'm looking forward to your howto, because I really learned a lot of
> your articles and miss them in future!!!! Maybe you shouldn't get so
> discurraged by some stupid people that express their pain in life in
> negative comments. I experienced (in the field of my hobby, music and
> visual arts, etc.) that you mostly get negative comments on the
> internet. I guess it's because most people don't take the effort to
> write an encouraging comment, but when they don't agree they take every
> effort.
> So I also do believe that you get lot of positiv feedback at
> converences, so that's also a thing I experienced. I face to face
> situations one has to be really upset that he gives negative feedback.
> but there are lot's of people that like what one does and come to tell
> you....
>
> Yours,
>
> Rainer

Rainer,

Many thanks for your kind thoughts!

This year, I agreed to address a new audience for Linux Journal -
government CIO's. So I write to acquaint them with possibilities.

I wrote the performance articles to say to the government people, "Linux
has a good desktop." But when trolls make comments that detract from the
credibility of the articles, I have to stop.

We have a complete chapter dedicated to optimizing Ubuntu in the
upcoming book. So, I'm sure you will see more, especially on this list.

I wish you all the best in your academic work.

Tomas