Bugfix updates?

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Sun Jun 5 19:49:48 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 06:30:35PM +0200, Andreas Schildbach wrote:
> Are there any plans from Ubuntu to release bug fix updates, beside the
> regular security updates?

I'm not quite sure what you mean; could you clarify? You can
upgrade any packages that need upgrading by doing

sudo apt-get update

to download the latest list of packages that have been
changed, then

sudo apt-get upgrade

to install all the available updates for every package you
have installed, or

sudo apt-get install [packageName]

to install any updates that are available for packageName.

To do this -- and get anything other than just security
updates -- you need to have a /etc/apt/sources.list file
with the right repositories in it. Mine is below. Make sure
yours contains repositories other than security-update ones.

> The Intel Wireless LAN driver would be such a candidate, actually the
> version contained with Ubuntu is more offline than online and it crashes
> the machine quite often. Not so with the latest version, which I
> installed by hand.

Are you talking about the IPW2200 driver? Yes, I agree that
it needs to be updated, and I've been installing directly
from the source ipw2200.sf.net (they have an RSS feed so I
can be notified when the driver is updated). But if I'm not
mistaken, recent updates have been folded into the kernel.
Or were you talking about some other driver?

Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org
+(617) 308-5571
PGP key: http://laniels.org/slaniel.key