DVD burn speeds borked?

David M. Carney carney1979 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 18:20:56 UTC 2005

> I use K3B to burn my DVDs, and I cannot get a good burn out of 8x media @
> 8x speeds with a 16x capable burner. I've tried different brands of media,
> different burners, different distros, and even different computers. The 8x
> discs I try to burn @ 8x come out as coasters. Their viewable to a point
> but the burn is physically bad, with blank strips, scorches, and other
> errors.

Here's a thought....

Perhaps enabling DMA for your burner would help.

Add this to the end of your /etc/hdparm.conf

/dev/cdrom {
        dma = on
}

"cdrom" could be changed to any symlink that points to your burner. Or it
could point to something like /dev/hdc, or what have you.

To test this before making a change, you could try:

sudo hdparm -c /dev/hdX

....where 'X' is the letter for your burner.

Don't know if this would help with the burning, though.

David

--
Registered Linux User #297958
http://carney1979.blogspot.com/