Very slow ripping

david_c ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sun Jun 5 08:31:56 UTC 2005

I was having the same problems - with speeds usually under 1.0x on my
24x drive.

Set the DMA, accomplishing nothing.

Unchecked all of the 'autostart' options both in gnome and grip,
accomplishing nothing.

Only thing that worked and got me up to about 3.5-4.0x was to use the
cdparanoia (non-grip) decoder and add options "-Z -Y -S 24" (disable
paranoia, disable extra paranoia, set drive speed to 24x) to the rip
command line in confiuration > rip.

4.0x still slow, but then again the encoder side of things is running
at about the same speed, so there's really no sense in my trying to
increase decoder speed further.

--
david_c