Advantage of a separate /home partition?

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 01:59:06 UTC 2005

On 6/4/05, alex <radsky at ncia.net> wrote:
> I recently asked about the advantage of having /home on a separate
> partition and was told that in the event ubuntu had to be reinstalled
> for whatever reason, you wouldn't lose the data you had accumulated
> in /home.

> alex, the OF

There's another advantage.  If you're like me, every once in a while
my home directory fills up.  Completely.  If it's on the root partition, then
you have only a little space to run the system in (if you took default
parameters and allowed the system to reserve some space), but even
if that doesn't run out, a Linux system runs poorly of an almost-full
filesystem -- like Windows in need of a defrag.

OTOH, if the home directory is on its own partition, this may happen
a bit more often but the damage is localized -- and your OS runs just
fine.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD