Performance Enhancements

Tom Adelstein adelste at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 4 17:08:14 UTC 2005

Hello all -

I decided to end the series on performance enhancements at Linux Journal
and I'll explain why in a moment.

I wrote the series in response to requests on this mailing list. I
enjoyed doing it and appreciate the kind emails. Since my column deals
with Linux in Government, I've moved on to topics more closely related
to that audience.

I'm scheduled to go to the middle-east this summer and speak to an open
source conference with mainly government officials in attendance. I'll
provide more information on that. I hope to distribute Ubuntu CD's at
the conference. In one talk, I'll be building a computer from scratch
and installing Ubuntu on it. I think that will be exciting for the
attendees.

So, I want to do some articles about governments using Linux - outside
the United States. So if anyone has any cases they can share with me, I
would be so pleased. I'm looking for Linux used in Arabic speaking
countries. Farsi and Urdu will also work.

I would like to present the case studies and will accept papers for that
purpose. Also, information about open source activities, distributions,
user groups, etc. will help.

Back to the performance enhancement stories. Though I won't write
additional articles, I will complete a How-to and let you know when it's
available. I will only provide it to this mailing list. Also, I'll have
an announcement about an Ubuntu book in the near future. A chapter is
dedicated to performance enhancements.

Thanks for the support. I'm using more screen shots from my Ubuntu
distribution in my Linux Journal articles and hopefully that will
encourage people to try it.

As to why I decided to stop the performance enhancement series at Linux
Journal, it has to do with the comments. Writing for open source can be
brutal and many people make comments without reading the articles. After
six years of writing articles, books, parts of books, etc. I'm just
tired of the comments from the mean spirited. The positive ones always
seem to get buried.

All the best,

Tom

PS this email will go out a second time under a difference heading.