Problem with Nautilus

Steve Zatz slzatz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 21:34:31 UTC 2005

I am a relative newbie currently running Hoary on a Dell4300, which was
upgraded from Warty to Hoary a month ago. Today, I had a complete lockup
with the screen going blank and when I rebooted everything seems to be
working except Nautilus. I can launch applications from the gnome menus
without any problems. However, the directories on my desktop have
disappeared, and I cannot launch the Desktop or my Home directory from the
Places menu. When I try, nothing happens. When I type 'nautilus' at a
terminal prompt, nothing happens. I am tempted to reinstall nautilus using
Synaptic but before I do so was just looking for some advice as to whether
that is the right thing to do. Thanks for any help.

Steve