CPU scaling nonexistent with Inspiron 5150

Samuel Kaufman emrysk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 06:39:53 UTC 2005

I am running Hoary Hedgehog on my Dell Inspiron 5150, and the other
day I noticed that /sys/devices/system/cpu contains two directories
"cpu0" and "cpu1," but both are empty.  I'm going to be travelling
soon, so this isn't good news.  (I'd like my battery to live through
the flight.)

When powernowd starts, I get the following...

emrys at cloudy:/sys/devices/system/cpu$ sudo /etc/init.d/powernowd start
Password:
This processor "Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz" is known
_not_ to support power-saving.
  * Starting powernowd...
  * CPU frequency scaling not supported                                   [ ok ]

That's not good. CPU scaling should be supported. According to
http://www.finnie.org/linux-dell-5150/, it's supported with the 2.4
kernel in Gentoo. (Though he doesn't specify which Gentoo kernel he
uses.)

Oh, and CPU throttling works just fine. Any ideas?  I could use some
help, but I'm not really sure how to investigate this further.