communicate with a printerserver using the mac adress ??

Ed Fletcher ed at fletcher.ca
Fri Jun 3 06:02:30 UTC 2005

Paul Tader wrote:
| Roland Wegmann wrote:
|
|>Hello
|>
|>My situation: I have a printer server (Longshine LCS-PS102) and
|>unfortunately I do not no the default IP address of this printer
server. So
|>I can't use the web browser in order to configure the printer server
(static
|>IP address, device name, ...).
|>
|>Longshine delivers the printer server with the Windows programm PSAdmin.
|>Using this tool one can define the IP address of the printer server
(and all
|>the other stuff). But I dont have a Windows Box.
|>
|>I know that each 'ethernet equipment' has a uniqe MAC address; and I know
|>the MAC address of my printer server. Now my questions: Is there a way to
|>communicate with the printer server using its MAC address?? If yes, what
|>software package do I have to use (telnet, ...)??
|>
|>I have in mind to use the MAC address in order to configure its IP
address.

|>Kind regards, Roland Wegmann
|>

| Assuming that your workstation is configured for the same network, run
arp.

| # arp -a
|
| ...then match the MAC-to-IP
|
| Paul

That's an interesting solution Paul.  I tried it and it picked up my HP
JetDirect printserver.  But only after I sent a test page to wake up the
printer.  I would have thought that the printserver would have answered
regardless.

Roland:  If 'arp -a' doesn't work (and I think that it will) you can
also check whatever you are using as a dhcp server to see what IP is
being handed out when you plug in the printserver.

Anyway, I googled a bit and found the web site for Longshine:
http://www.longshine.de/data/index-eng.html
This is an english page of all their printservers.  You can get the
specs, manual, etc in pdf.  They say that they support Linux, but
there's no info on how to set it up with Linux.  Figures.

Looks like a nice little unit, btw.  Handles 1 parallel and 2 usb printers.

Ed
- --
Ed Fletcher
ed at fletcher.ca

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?  -  Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)