-snapshot packages

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Wed Jun 1 13:38:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 03:31:56PM +0200, Kent Nyberg wrote:
> The stable version of Ubuntu only gets security-fixes so that package
> will soon grow out of date. And having it in the development version of
> Ubuntu is not the correct way,since the development version of Ubuntu is
> only for the purpose of creating the next stable version of Ubuntu.
> I guess there is an exception for code that in time of the release
> *will* get stable (as Gnome), but as I read your mail, that is not what
> you ask for, right?

I believe the -snapshot packages used to be within unstable
(and were probably also within experimental; I'm not sure).
I don't know if the -snapshot packages eventually made it
into stable releases; I'd presume not.

Basically, it seems like -snapshot packages are a good way
for bleeding-edge folks to get what they want. The more
stable builds go into packages that don't end with
-snapshot. Then no one can install an experimental version
accidentally.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org