no sound in tvtime

John Conover conover at rahul.net
Wed Jun 1 05:40:07 UTC 2005

Dennis Kaarsemaker writes:

> On di, 2005-05-31 at 18:29 -0700, John Conover wrote:
>
> > The sound works fine for all other applications, just not tvtime.
>
> The first thing that comes to mind: check the settings of mythtv and see
> whether it uses esound/esd by default (if possible).
>
> Quick and dirty workaround: in a terminal you type: killall -q esd
> You might be able to get sound out of mythtv without changing anything
> else, but will loose other sound until the next reboot/restart of
> X/manual start of esd.

You aren't goint to believe this, Dennis-I left off the sound output
cable from the Hauppauge Tuner card!

At any rate, there are a lot of circa 1999 "refurbished" Hauppauge
Tuner cards, (see http://www.hauppauge.com,) on the market, (for less
than $20 US,) with Bt878 chips on them, and the
tvtime_0.9.15-1_i386.deb from http://www.debian.org/ is an easy drop
in. Just:

    dpkg -i tvtime_0.9.15-1_i386.deb

and the system lights right up, (if one doesn't forget the output
plumbing.)

I put it in an antique 400MHz. PII with 64M and a 20 Gig., and it
seems to run OK.

      John

--

John Conover, conover at rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/