Dual Boot with windows: where to put the boot loader?

Erich Reto Iseli erich.iseli at iseli.org
Wed Jun 1 04:56:41 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Thanks everybody for the good advice. I installed grub into the MBR and
everything worked fine. However, I had to choose ext3 over xfs otherwise
it only wanted to install lilo. And sorry for Lilo fans but I really
cant stand this loader. So does anyone know why the ubuntu installer
doesn't give you the option to install grub in the mbr if you choose
xfs? You can choose grub but then it warns you if you install it on an
xfs disk, you might get in trouble. Ok, but no option to install in the
mbr. It defaulted to lilo. When I saw this, I turned off the computer,
installed again and chose ext3 instead :)

So now ubuntu is installed on my dad's computer, but he cannot use it
yet because X wouldn't come up. He has a no-name computer with a nice
Philips monitor. What kind of info do you need here so that I can debug
this problem?

Erich