GRUB does not load Windows XP

linux_fish ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Wed Jul 27 22:10:03 UTC 2005

Weiers Coetser Wrote:

> I am having trouble getting GRUB to load Windows XP

> I get the following display:

> root (hd1,0)

> Filesystem type unkown

> Parition typ 0x7

> safedefault

> makeactive

> chainloader + 1

> then everything just freezes and I have to reboot.

I'm having a similar problem. I've tried the suggestions above with no
luck. My setup is: XP on hda1, Ubuntu on sda1. Bios has hda1 as primary
boot drive. Here's all the info that I could think of that might help.
If you need more, please let me know and I'll add it.

device.map

Code:
--------------------
    (hd0)	/dev/hda

  (hd1)	/dev/sda
--------------------

menu.lst

Code:
--------------------
    # menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)

  #            grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),

  #            grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub

  #            and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.

  ## default num

  # Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and

  # the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.

  #

  # You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry

  # is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.

  default		0

  ## timeout sec

  # Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry

  # (normally the first entry defined).

  timeout		10

  ## hiddenmenu

  # Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)

  #hiddenmenu

  # Pretty colours

  #color cyan/blue white/blue

  ## password ['--md5'] passwd

  # If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing

  # control (menu entry editor and command-line)  and entries protected by the

  # command 'lock'

  # e.g. password topsecret

  #      password --md5 $1$gLhU0/$aW78kHK1QfV3P2b2znUoe/

  # password topsecret

  #

  # examples

  #

  # title		Windows 95/98/NT/2000

  # root		(hd0,0)

  # makeactive

  # chainloader	+1

  #

  # title		Linux

  # root		(hd0,1)

  # kernel	/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro

  #

  #

  # Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

  ### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

  ## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified

  ## by the debian update-grub script except for the default optons below

  ## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

  ## ## Start Default Options ##

  ## default kernel options

  ## default kernel options for automagic boot options

  ## If you want special options for specifiv kernels use kopt_x_y_z

  ## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.

  ## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro

  # kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=771

  ## default grub root device

  ## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)

  # groot=(hd0,0)

  ## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options

  ## e.g. alternative=true

  ##      alternative=false

  # alternative=true

  ## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options

  ## e.g. lockalternative=true

  ##      lockalternative=false

  # lockalternative=false

  ## altoption boot targets option

  ## multiple altoptions lines are allowed

  ## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options

  ##      altoptions=(recovery mode) single

  # altoptions=(recovery mode) single

  ## nonaltoption boot targets option

  ## This option controls options to pass to only the

  ## primary kernel menu item.

  ## You can have ONLY one nonaltoptions line

  # nonaltoptions=quiet splash

  ## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst

  ## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the

  ## alternative kernel options

  ## e.g. howmany=all

  ##      howmany=7

  # howmany=all

  ## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option

  ## e.g. memtest86=true

  ##      memtest86=false

  # memtest86=true

  ## ## End Default Options ##

  title		Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.10-5-386

  root		(hd0,0)

  kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=771 quiet splash

  initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-5-386

  savedefault

  boot

  title		Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.10-5-386 (recovery mode)

  root		(hd0,0)

  kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=771 single

  initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-5-386

  savedefault

  boot

  title		Ubuntu, kernel memtest86+

  root		(hd0,0)

  kernel		/boot/memtest86+.bin

  savedefault

  boot

  ### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

  # This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian

  # ones.

  title		Other operating systems:

  root

  # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS

  # on /dev/sda1

  title		Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition /dev/sda1

  root		(hd1,0)

  savedefault

  chainloader	+1

If it's simply a matter of me missing the approriate thread please
point the way.

ps. I am a n00b but not afraid of the terminal ;)

--
linux_fish