how to tranfer a linux installation from 1 hdd to another

Thomas Kaiser thomas at kaiser.linux-site.net
Wed Jul 27 20:32:31 UTC 2005

Guido Heumann wrote:

> Not sure about fedora, but with debian/ubuntu you can basically just
> copy all files. Just make sure you make the same partition scheme on
> the new drive, or change the /etc/fstab accordingly.

Some month ago, I did just copy a *XBOX Linux* with scp to a ordinary
PC. Both, Xbox and PC booted with live CDs. I did put a new kernel on
the PC installed GRUB, configured menu.lst and the PC was booting as the
OS was natively installed on this PC.

Cloneing Linux is more easy than Windoz.

BTW, I did the same with Windoz NT (not from a Xbox, of course) and it
worked too, basiclly. But you have to fiddle around a lot with the MBR
and partition BR (and the boot code which is placed there).

Regards, Thomas