Evolution : problems with the spell checker

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Wed Jul 27 16:58:06 UTC 2005

I just managed to install an additional dictionary, one for for English,
to communicate with you all, and one for my native language, French.

Problem : the spell checker doesn't seem to distinguish between the
languages ! It's like it merges the two dictionaries into one huge one !
I tried the following silly two examples, and it doesn't detect any
error !!

"I am Français. Je suis French."

Looks like as long as a word is in one of the dictionaries, the spell
checker is happy ! Not very useful :-/

How to tell the spell checker what language to check the mails
against ?? With so many English words with a spelling close to the
French ones, I often mis-spell words, sometimes I even manage to
invent/come up with a spelling that's neither French nor English !! ;-)
So I need the spell checker to help me stop mixing both languages...

Ideally, Evolution would automatically figure out the language by
analysing say the first 2 lines of a message you are replying to. If the
majority of the words belong to say the French dictionary, then I must
be replying to a French chap, so the spell checker must automatically
use the corresponding language.
When writing a new message, hence no text to analyse, we could have a
convenient/handy combo box in the toolbar of the composing window, to
quickly select the language we are writing in. Or Evolution could look
at the domain name of the recipient, to see if it contains a country
particule, ".fr", ".co.uk", or something. Once we have specified the
language to be used for a given recipient, Evolution could use this as
default every time we reply or write a message to this person. There
could be a "default language" setting/info, in the address-book.

--
Vince