hdparm.conf

Jason Voegele jason at jvoegele.com
Tue Jul 26 14:36:01 UTC 2005

On Sat, July 23, 2005 1:55 pm, Chanchao said:
> Rant follows:
>
> Linux programmers seem to delight using these comment-characters (#) to
> 'disable' certain commands, so they become like examples. It even
> enriched the English language with the verbs 'to uncomment' and 'to
> comment out'.
>
> Very often when configuring stuff in Linux, it involves opening a config
> file that already includes loads of settings, but some, most, or all of
> them have been 'commented out' using #-characters.  You can then select
> the settings you need by removing the # character using a text editor.
>
> All of this is the result of lazyness on the part of the developer(s)
> who didn't bother to program a basic screen or wizard to configure
> things. Furthermore, they even convinced themselves that config files
> are a Good Thing!   As yet, they haven't convince me though.

It has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with separation of
concerns.  A properly designed program has no idea whether its
configuration file was hand written with vi or generated by some fancy GUI
"wizard", it just knows that it needs a configuration file with a certain
format.  So, given that a config file is necessary, one way to modify a
program's configuration is to hand edit the config file with an editor.
Another way might be a GUI program provided by a distribution or desktop
environment.

But by no means should hdparm be providing its own GUI wizard.  Indeed,
hdparm is also used in a server environment where a graphical environment
might not even be installed.

--
Jason Voegele
"There is an essential core at the center of each man and woman that