questions about anti virus tools in linux

René L. Reingard reingard at hispeed.ch
Tue Jul 26 08:47:23 UTC 2005

Hi Trace

Regarding this I can tell you all a nice story.
I do run the machine as Dual-Boot (Ubuntu Hoary and Windows XP).
On Windows XP I had installed 4 Malware Software, capable one's (AntiVir,
A2, BitDefender, ClamWin).
And the Windows Partition seemed to me to be free of malicous stuff.
But then, I did run Clamscan from Ubuntu, and as the Windows Partition is
mounted, Clamscan also ckecked Windows XP partition.
And the astonishing result was two viruses on Windows Partition.
One was located in the hiberfil.sys and the other in the pagefile.sys.
Why, I guess a Virussoftware can not check those two files on a running
Windows XP, therefore only a Virusscan from Ubuntu could detect them.
What others think on that.

Regarding user interface, do not worry, Clamscan does its job very well
out from the command line!

Regards,
René