[Hoary] Centos NIS server, Hoary NIS client, groups don't match

P Jones deerfieldtech at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 20:48:04 UTC 2005

On 7/25/05, crashtest <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> What happens if you change nsswitch.conf to 'files nis'?  This way it
> will use the local group file first, so groups like audio will be
> found.  User accounts would be created on the nis server, and not being
> found in the local group file, the search would then move on to nis,
> where the user would be found.
>

> --
> crashtest

Well, I've done that already but the problem is that on the local
machine where there is a group "audio", no one is in it - user and
group info is on the server, where there is no audio group. As soon as
I fix the problem by putting user info on the client machine, I've
eliminated the need for NIS (in my case).

-P