Any way to stop .Trash-username being created?

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Mon Jul 25 04:21:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:36 am, Senectus . wrote:
> I map drives to some windows 2003 servers.. and I'm constantly having
> the very annoying problem of when ever I delete a file on the windows
> share that it creates a ".Trash-username" and puts the deleted file in
> there.
> Under windows this is not a "hidden" file and is very visible to everyone
> else. Is there some way to stop it creating a ".Trash-username" file time I
> delete a file?

What's in your smb.conf file? There are methods that can be configured in
Samba that do as you describe, but without seeing your config file, I'd just
be guessing.  Maybe this link will point out what I mean:
http://www.redhat.com/advice/tips/sambatrash.html

Cheers,

James
--
  If you fall and break your legs, don't come running to me. -Samuel
  Goldwyn