hdparm.conf

Vram lamsokvr at xprt.net
Sun Jul 24 01:15:11 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 00:55 +0700, Chanchao wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 18:12 +0100, david wrote:
>
> > I've been looking at the /etc/hdparm.conf file and I'm not sure
> > about what I'm looking at.
> >
> > Do the lines that start with a # get read?
>
> Officially, those are 'comment' lines, i.e. those lines are ignored by
> the program reading the config file. They're used to describe or explain
> something to the person using the file. (you).
>
> Rant follows:
>
> Linux programmers seem to delight using these comment-characters (#) to
> 'disable' certain commands, so they become like examples. It even
> enriched the English language with the verbs 'to uncomment' and 'to
> comment out'.
>
> Very often when configuring stuff in Linux, it involves opening a config
> file that already includes loads of settings, but some, most, or all of
> them have been 'commented out' using #-characters.  You can then select
> the settings you need by removing the # character using a text editor.
>
> All of this is the result of lazyness on the part of the developer(s)
> who didn't bother to program a basic screen or wizard to configure
> things. Furthermore, they even convinced themselves that config files
> are a Good Thing!   As yet, they haven't convince me though.
>
> End of rant. :)  (Yes, there's more useful stuff to follow, bear with
> me)
>
> As it happens I played around with hdparm yesterday, because of a pretty
> good article I was reading on optimizing performance in Linux.
>
> The article was this one, enjoy:
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8317
>
> Note that for Ubuntu the config file is not the same as in the article
> above, but from your post it seems you already found
> the /etc/hdparm.conf file.
>
> Cheers,
> Chanchao

I think you are misunderstanding why the lines are commented out.

Everyones mileage may vary..   There are A LOT of variables out there.

The developers do the best they can.
If that option applies to you..  Uncomment it.  If it doesn't apply to
you...Leave it.

IT is a big system...   You can't always guess what other people will
have.   Especial, three years from now..

I feel it is VERY unfair to call these people lazy?

Just my $0.02...

Good luck

Vram