Problem with fonts: aterm ( urxvt alternative)

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jul 22 01:29:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:46:23 +0200
Matthias Fechner <idefix at fechner.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i completely reinstalled ubuntu hoary today, but i have a problem with
> fonts under X11.
>
> I always get the errormessage:
> aterm: can't load font "font1"
>
> What package i need to install, to fix the problem?
>
> --
> Bye
> Matthias

Hi Matthias,

I'm not sure if this will fix your problem, but I also use aterm, and it does not support utf-8 for fonts. I recently discovered the "urxvt" terminal, which is very similar to aterm, but supports utf-8.

It is in the "rxvt-unicode" package: installing that package might help if you want to use an aterm-like terminal. By the way, urxvt seems to support most of the aterm options (like transparency).

Both aterm and urxvt are based on the venerable rxvt, so performance is similar as far as I can tell.

Peter