rc.local file?

shelagh oneida at tpg.com.au
Fri Jul 22 00:16:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:28:45 +0200, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:

> On do, 2005-07-21 at 10:57 +1000, shelagh wrote:
>> Hello,
>>  I've migrated recently from fedora to ubuntu. I'm still finding my way
>>  around the system config stuff. I like to play with midi stuff and
>>  notice that the /dev/snd/seq is missing and has to be added manually.
>>  Can I add an /etc/rc.local file that does this for me? Or would it be
>>  called something else in a debian system? Or failing that is there any
>>  documentation on udev that could give me an idea of how to do it in the
>>  proper way?
>
> The proper way to do this is edit the udev rules so it will be created.
> Another way is making a simple initscript yourself and enabling it with
> update-rc.d (see man update-rc.d)

Ok, I've looked up udev rules in google and found the files in
/etc/udev/rules.d/ that describe the things that are loaded. This is what
it says.
# ALSA devices
KERNEL="controlC[0-9]*", NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="hwC[D0-9]*",	NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="pcmC[D0-9cp]*",	NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="midiC[D0-9]*",	NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="timer",		NAME="snd/%k"
KERNEL="seq",		NAME="snd/%k"

which seems to indicate that the sequencer device should be created. But
this is not happening. I've looked in /dev/snd/ and there is no seq there.
What else can I look at to see why it is not happening. I am not an
experienced script writer.
If I wrote 	!#/bin/bash
		mknod -m 666 /dev/snd/seq c 116 1

would that be enough or do I need to put in checks to see if it already
exists? or put sdterr to /dev/null and all that?

Shelagh