Hoary Hosed: synaptic in dependency hell

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Jul 21 07:12:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:46:11 -0700
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:

I see this line in your sources file:

> deb http://ubuntu.tower-net.de/ubuntu/ hoary java

I assume this is a third party repository - did you include this only to install java? If so I would comment it out with a #,  then do another

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I also noticed in your output the following lines:

"mutt depends on exim4 | mail-transport-agent; however:
  Package exim4 is not installed."

This is pretty odd, since mutt is installed in ubuntu by default with a vanilla install, and exim is the Debian default MTA, whereas Postfix is the default in Ubuntu.

Also notice that the common thread in the error messages is mail, and apps connected with mail delivery; for example the "at" timing utility (which mails output to the user who ran it), and the command line "mailx" program ...

Can't be sure, but I suspect your tower-net.de line in /etc/apt/sources.list might be causing conflicts (Postfix fighting Exim? Yet another Holy War! Apt can't decide... *grin* )

So i'm taking a wild guess, and thinking the tower-net has entangled your system ( weak joke, sorry )

Peter