Centrino wireless chip support in Linux?

David Teague davidbteague at verizon.net
Wed Jul 20 23:28:45 UTC 2005

On Wednesday, July 20, 2005 7:07 PM
Jack Jackson wrote
Re: Centrino wireless chip support in Linux?

> David Teague wrote:
> >  I read this in
> > http://hardware.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/07/14/1721248&from=rss
> >
> > "Because Centrino-based computers have wireless network chips that don't
> > work with Linux, there is a project to create open source drivers for
> > earlier Centrino wireless chips, but the newer ones don't seem to be
> > supported."
> >
> > I seem to recall that there are Intel supported Linux drivers
> > for the Centrino wireless chips. Is this true? Or is this author
> > right, the "new ones" aren't supported?

> I write from a three-month old Centrino-based Compaq 4020 US with an
> Intel ipw2200 wireless chip, and here it is working on ubuntu!
>
> ;)

Well,  perhaps I shall have equivalent fortune.

I suppose I could boot the Ubuntu Live CD to try
out WiFi support in the store before buying, perhaps?

Many thanks!

David

David Teague,  http://cs.wcu.edu/~dbt
Oppose software patents: Help keep free software possible.
League for Software Freedom: http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/
Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure
http://www.ffii.org/ is an active European site that
opposes software patents.