Ubuntu 32 bits vs AMD64

Rob Kendrick ubuntu-users-l at rjek.com
Wed Jul 20 15:59:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 21:36 +1000, Russell Cook wrote:
> I think this one answers your request:
> http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2005-July/042365.html
>
> As I understand it, you install the 64 bit version, then install any
> 32 bit apps you want. If they won't run then use a 32bit chroot
> environment to isolate  the libraries that are in conflict. I don't
> know how to do the chroot part yet, so am staying with the 32 bit
> version at the moment :-)

"man debootstrap" (having installed the debootstrap' package) will tell
you most about how get this going.  I've done this myself, along with
using dchroot such that I can easily write mirror scripts such that
Firefox, xine, etc, get run from inside the chroot.  Remember to bind
mount your home directory, /etc/passwd, shadow, group files into the
chroot, and mounted proc, etc.

It seems to work well.  If I have time tomorrow, I might write a little
HOWTO or something to share my experiences, if there isn't one around
already.

--
Rob Kendrick
PGP signed or encrypted mail welcome (Key ID: 3651D17A)