Sudo / Gksudo : calling for testers !

James Livingston jrl at ids.org.au
Wed Jul 20 14:55:10 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 16:23 +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> Okay, so I have a workaround now. Next question is, I guess, why isn't
> this flag turned off by default ???
> What is the point for an average desktop user, to have different time
> stamps, and how is one's brain even supposed to cope with this concept ?
> I know my brain see sense only in one time stamp per user, anyhow.
> I am sure someone will show me some particular case where it makes
> sense, but so far, in 9 month using Warty, Hoary and now Breezy, as
> "normal" desktop user, not a tech guru, the current behavior makes zero
> sense to me, and rather confuses and irritates me, whereas with the flag
> turned off, it instantly feels sooo natural and logical and easy.

On a multi-user system where people log in remotely it's a fairly good
security feature - it stops security problems if you leave a login
active from one place, and then use sudo when logged in from a different
place.

On a desktop system it probably makes less sense - although I'm not sure
how much a "normal user" would mix using sudo from the command like with
GUI applications that use gkuso.

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
September 25th: Discovered lots of things about Dynamic HTML. Notably
that almost every site attempting to use it is crap. -- Alan Cox's Diary