Sudo / Gksudo : calling for testers !

Arjan Geven arjangeven at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 14:50:36 UTC 2005

On 7/20/05, Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> Okay, so I have a workaround now. Next question is, I guess, why isn't
> this flag turned off by default ???
> What is the point for an average desktop user, to have different time
> stamps, and how is one's brain even supposed to cope with this concept ?

Vince, I think it's not that unlogical that timestamps are not shared
between ttys. Start a terminal, do something under sudo, close the
terminal, and the timestamp is reset. Sounds logical. When you start a
new terminal, your password will be asked again, since you quit your
original "terminal session". Even if you have two terminals open, this
applies. You entered the password in one terminal, then it's logical
(for me) that they don't share password-information.

The gksudo behavior is another story, because you cannot 'forget' to
sudo when you use your menu. I often have no idea whether what I'm
doing needs to be done as superuser or not (hdparm -i e.g.). If you
access stuff from the menu, which things require sudo and which not
are even more hidden, because after the first time you type your
password, you will not be asked again for a while. Ugh, I'm afraid I
have a hard time explaining this. Do ya'all still follow me? Anyway,
wondering when you'll be asked for a password by gksudo is stranger
than the whole terminal thing and it not sharing the password.

You give the password to Gnome, or in a terminal, or in a second
terminal.. they are separate applications, hence ask separately for
your password. That's at least how I see it.

Regards,
Arjan .