second user login???

ZIYAD A. M. AL-BATLY zamb at saudi.net.sa
Wed Jul 20 06:28:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 10:20 +0500, Mustafa Abbasi wrote:
> is there a way that when my user screen is locked(passwprd required to
> open) then the login screen appears so i don't have to be around if
> another user wants to login.( i use gnome)
> i know  a feature like this exists in KDE but i really want to use
> gnome(for reason i will not give in order to not not start a desktop
> war
Start another login.  From "Applications" --> "System Tools" run "New
Login".  This will lock your screen automatcaly and start a new login so
that other users can login.  There's one problem though:  I think after
some time the new login when not used closes and go back to your
"Screen" (I'm not sure but you could try it any way!).

Another solution is for the other user to switch to one of the console
by pressing at the same time CTRL+ALT+F1 and login normally then
starting his/her Desktop Environment by running:
        startx -- :1 vt8
(The above command will start a new X server identified as ":1" and will
be binded¹ with console 8.  The first X server started by GDM is
identified as ":0" and binded with console 7.)

To switch to the first Desktop press "CTRL+ALT+F7", to go to the new
Desktop press "CTRL+ALT+F8".

Ziyad.

Footnotes:
     1. I hope "binded" is the right word!  My English is not that good.