Why has this not been done?

dave walker dave at mudsite.com
Tue Jul 19 13:39:20 UTC 2005

So when drinking some beer with friends we sometimes come up with crazy
ideas that should be done, however we normally figure out why it is a
bad idea.  However, I have had an idea stuck in my mind for about 2-3
months and can not figure out why it has not yet been done.  I know
there is randomness in the initial sequence number for TCP packets.  But
what about making the rest of the packets random sequence.  (read my
post before saying you can't have random sequence numbers)

I know there is a lot of talk going about with network security and all,
and I am not sure if it is relevant to this idea that I have.  I know
most talks of security are with phishing and what have you.  I thought
of a hack for TCP that would deter man-in-the-middle / hijacking
attacks.  I wrote a small thing on it here:
http://blogbp.com/archives/2005/07/security_throug.php

The only problem we see with it, is the potential for it taking time to
come up with (int)1 to (int)1 equations.  So if there is a better reason
on why this has never been done I would love to know.  I am not the best
at TCP Protocol programming, and don't really understand what happens at
that level.

Thanks,
--
David Walker