ubuntu-newbie has loads of questions

Arjan Geven arjangeven at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 13:09:27 UTC 2005

> iii) password for system-tools
> when I start some system-tools (device-manager etc.) I need to reenter
> the password of the current user. Thats strange. why dont I have to
> enter the root-password instead. would be more safe?
> and I can even start the root-console without entering any password.

The fact that you, as a user, can reenter the password to gain access
is intentional. After all, you are also the one that installed the OS
in the first place. You'll notice that if you create more users, these
will not have admin-rights by default.

Other users cannot change system settings, thus your own password
(sudo) is more than enough system security, provided that you make it
reasonably difficult to guess.

> iv) root does not have X-rights
> when I start a terminal it opens in the users account and the DISPLAY is
> set, so I can fire up any X-application like xterm. when I do a 'su -'
> to become root I cant do any X-stuff anymore, even after setting DISPLAY
> to the adress of my local X-server.

Root is generally NOT used in Ubuntu. All system management can be
done via the sudo command, which is generally safer. Therefore, root
also doesn't need access to X :-).

Arjan.