Grub on CD?

Bob Hentges bob at hentges.net
Tue Jul 19 08:53:03 UTC 2005

shelagh wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:06:49 +0200, Bob Hentges wrote:
>

>>shelagh wrote:
>>
>>>I installed ubuntu a few days ago and thru' absent mindedness, laziness.
>>>call it what you will, I left the cd in the drive. When I booted up
>>>tonight without the cd I got a message grub loading "Error 16". When I
>>>tried to reboot with the cd in thinking to go into rescue mode, it started
>>>up sweetly. Does this mean grub is on the cd? Will I have to use it as a
>>>boot cd, or surely there is a recipe for moving it on to the harddrive.
>>>Another explanation might be; hardware misconfiguration? I had to lend my
>>>graphix card to my son and hacked the xorg.conf file to use the onbord sis
>>>card. Maybe the cd grub can cope but not the harddrive grub?
>>

>>Well, if you can boot up into your installed system, when using the cd,
>>you could use grub-install to put grub to your MBR.
>

> Well, there you go! I will look up the man page for this today.
> But just our of interests sake, how do I find out what error 16 is?

I tried to query Google for #what is "grub error 16"# (without the #,
obviously) and a result page told me the following:

"GRUB Error 16 comes from a "device string unrecognizable" error". You
might thus want to have a look at your menu.lst if I am not mistaken.

Friendly
--
Bob Hentges a.k.a. maradong