Where do I make these changes?

Scott Henson scotth at csee.wvu.edu
Tue Jul 19 03:21:17 UTC 2005

Barry Young wrote:

> I trying to add a video capture card to my Linux box.
>
> I am a NEWBIE ..
>
> The documentation says to add these lines:
>  <snip>

Ubuntu already did it for you.  The docs your reading should tell you to
add those lines then build the kernel and install it.  You can safely
skip that.  Just skip to the part where it tells you to modprobe the
modules(it may not actually say that, I'm not reading the directions you
are, its just an assumption)

>They also recommend a program called xawtv and they supplied a link.  This program source code needs to be compiled?  Do I do that with the cc command?
>
>Is this common for linux / unix programs? They supply the source?

You don't need to compile it from source.  Ubuntu provides many packages
so you should never have to do that.  All you should have to do is add
universe to your repository list(check the ubuntu wiki for directions)
and you should be able to install it with synaptic.