XFCE vs ICEWM

Todd Slater dontodd at columbus.rr.com
Mon Jul 18 12:57:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 12:07:57PM +1000, Colin McDermott wrote:
> http://www.ubuntulite.org/wiki/index.php?title=Desktop_environment#XFCE_vs_ICEWM
> (please do not edit this yet, I beg you)
>
> In Summary XFCE uses 26mb of memory while Icewm uses 5mb (in fairness you
> would have to add a icon program to icewm (not sure on xfce) which adds
> 5~7mb) Also you may be able to trim xfce).

What are you running with XFCE? (I assume it's XFCE4?) If you run
everything it offers you end up with a desktop environment, but you can
run just the window manager if you want (xfwm4).

> On Firefox and web browsers. I would like to know of real lightweight
> alternatives. It's bad to say, but Opera is looking close to the best
> useable alternative.

How about links2 in graphical mode (links2 -g)?
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/features.html
<snip>

Todd