Unable to see my Host on PuTTY.

Stephen R Laniel steve at laniels.org
Sun Jul 17 20:40:30 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 03:35:25PM -0500, Barry Young wrote:
> In Ubuntu, can someone point me to the utility that will display your host name
> and IP address?

Well, be careful: according to the hostname (/bin/hostname)
command, my host is TheloniousMonk. According to the
Internet, my host is blahblahblah.comcast.net. Which
hostname are you looking for?

Likewise for your IP: do you want the IP address that your
local router sees, or your Internet IP? You can get the
local IP by running ifconfig. To get the Internet IP, you'll
need to visit a website such as whatismyip.org.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve at laniels.org
+(617) 308-5571